Here’s what it looks like:
Terrible Two Push-Up Challenge
How to Do It
Start off in a plank position with your head neutral and arms about shoulder-width apart. Your palms should be under your shoulders. Keep your elbows in tight to the body throughout the entire two minutes to prevent injury to the shoulder.
Only give yourself credit for completing the “Terrible Two” all the way through if you didn’t sag or lift your hips, flair your elbows, or press out of one of the isometric holds at any point.
- First 15 seconds: Do as many strict push-ups as possible.
- Next 15 seconds: Hold the top portion of the push-up, like a plank.
- Next 15 seconds: Hold the halfway point.
- Next 30 seconds: Hold a push-up 3/4ths of the way down.
- Next 15 seconds: Press yourself back to the halfway point of the push-up. Do not press all the way back up during this portion! This is the hardest part and is where almost everyone fails on their first attempt at this drill. No cheating here!
- Next 15 seconds: Press yourself back to the top for another plank hold.
- Last 15 seconds: Do as many strict push-ups as possible.
- Total Time: 2 Minutes
This is a tough drill, so don’t be discouraged if you’re not able to complete it on your first attempt. Over 95% of the people I’ve put through this fail on their try.