If your goal is chest size and your pecs are being stubborn, add a band (a form of accommodating resistance) to your flyes to increase the metabolic stress.
Banded Dumbbell Flyes
Banded Kettlebell Flyes
- Grab a light to moderate resistance band and wrap it around your back, preferably the lats.
- Grab the dumbbells or kettlebells with the bands around your thumbs or whatever grip is comfortable for you.
- Lie down on a flat bench holding the dumbbells or kettlebells at your shoulders, palms facing inwards. Bring the dumbbells up until your arms are almost fully extended.
- Slightly bend your arms and arc the weights down to your sides until you feel a stretch across your chest. (Don't bring the dumbbells to your ears because you'll place too much stress on the shoulder joints. Kettlebells allow more range of motion though.)
- Squeeze your pecs to return the weights to the start position.