Deloading from the barbell from time to time can be the catalyst you need to re-ignite your motivation and give your body time to recover from the iron.
These workouts don't require any equipment other than a few bands. Dumbbells, jump ropes, and cardio equipment are a bonus, but optional.
If you don't have access to dumbbells, just do these with bodyweight only. Control your tempo with all movements; the goal should be perfect movement and controlling both the lowering and raising of each rep.
Day 1 – Strength Emphasis
- A1. Rear-Foot Elevated Split Squat: Do 4 x 8-10 each. Rest 30 seconds.
- A2. Yoga Push-Up: Do 4 x 10-15. Rest 30 seconds.
- B1. 3D Banded Pull-Apart: Do 4 x 15. Rest 30 seconds.
- B2. Side Plank: Do 4 x 15 seconds each side. Rest 30 seconds.
- C. Banded Glute Bridge Finisher: Do 100 fast reps.
Day 2 – Conditioning Emphasis
Tabata: Do 8 Tabata sets for each exercise. (A standard Tabata requires you to work for 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off. This requires a timer or an app.)
Rest 60 seconds before moving to the next exercise.
- A. Air Squat
- B. Mountain Climbers
- C. Jump Rope (Single or Double Under)
- D. Burpee or Up Down
Day 3 – Strength Emphasis
- A1. Banded Pull-Through: Do 4 sets of 15. Rest 30 seconds.
- A2. Banded Pushdown: Do 4 sets of 15. Rest 30 seconds.
- B1. Hollow Rocks: Do 4 sets of 20. Rest 30 seconds.
- B2. X-Band Walk: Do 4 sets of 10 steps left and 10 steps right. Rest 30 seconds.
- C. Banded Face Pull Finisher: Do 100 reps.
Day 4 – Conditioning Emphasis
EMOM (every minute on the minute) for 20 minutes. At the beginning of each minute, you'll do the prescribed reps for each exercise and then rest for the remainder of that minute before starting the next exercise.
- Minute 1: Jump Lunge, 10 reps each leg
- Minute 2: Banded Push-Up, 10 reps
- Minute 3: Single-Leg Hip Thrust, 10 reps each leg
- Minute 4: Banded Hammer Curl, 10 reps
Sprinkle these in on days you're not training or use them as finishers on days you are.
- Tabata Intervals on Air Bike: Do 20 seconds hard, 10 seconds off for 8 rounds.
- Rowing Intervals: Every 2 minutes row 250 meters. Rest with the remainder of time you have before the next 2 minutes begins. Do 10 sets of this for a total of 20 minutes.
- Running or Treadmill Intervals: Do a 20 second sprint, then 60 second walk for 5 rounds.