Leg Press + Rest-Pause = Gains
The rest-pause method works great with the leg press. Load up the leg press with your 15RM weight (the most weight you can lift for 15 reps) then get at least 25 reps in one set.
How? By taking short 30 second rests. (Rack the weight during these short breaks.) So it might look like this:
- 15 reps, rest 30 seconds
- 6 reps, rest 30 seconds
- 4 reps, rest 30 seconds
Total reps for this rest-pause set: 25.
How to Maximize It
- Keep your core tight at all times.
- Keep your lower back against the pad at all times – only go as low as you can while maintaining this position. You never want to let your back roll off the bottom of the seat.
- Grip the handles hard to lock yourself in.
- Control the descent, pause slightly at the bottom, and lift to just shy of lockout.
- Aim to hit at least parallel on each rep.