This is a great exercise for total body conditioning. Here's how to do it.
- Go to the power rack and move the hooks or barbell supports to the outside-front of the rack and set them at a level just below your knees. You may also be able to use the safety supports depending on the type of equipment you have.
- Load a bar with approximately 65% of your raw deadlift 1RM. Place the bar on the floor directly in front of the power rack about two full steps away from the hooks.
- Assume a shoulder-width stance with your grip outside of your legs. Use a symmetrical pronated grip (palms facing you), not the mixed grip.
- Deadlift the weight up. Once you reach lockout, take two steps forward, reset your stance, and lower the bar onto the hooks or supports.
- As soon as you release muscular tension, re-lift the load, take two steps backward, stop, reset your stance, and lower to the ground. That's the first rep.
- Without resting, repeat for the prescribed number of reps.
Load: 65% of raw deadlift 1RM
Rest: 60 seconds
As part of your conditioning plan, do this once per week. As you progress from week to week, keep the load the same but drop 5 seconds from the rest period between sets.
Note: If you don't have access to a power rack you can set the bar on a bench.