Most popular among bodybuilders, the bro-split involves devoting each workout to 1-2 muscle groups, such as:
- Monday: Back
- Tuesday: Chest
- Wednesday: Legs
- Thursday: Shoulders/Calves
- Friday: Biceps/Triceps
- If you're already huge and strong, your muscles will take between 4-6 days to recover from training. Therefore, training each muscle group once a week is likely ideal.
- You get to train 5 days a week, which many lifters enjoy.
- Many lifters enjoy the idea of dedicating an entire workout to a specific muscle/muscle group.
The bro split has lots of benefits! Problem is, those benefits are usually offset by a very pesky drawback:
- If you're not huge and super-strong, your muscles will take between 1-3 days to recover from training. Therefore training each muscle group once a week is probably not frequent enough, and you'll lose ground between sessions.
Is there a better training split? I like a hybrid split. A hybrid split incorporates both whole-body days as well as upper and lower days into a 4-day training week. Check it out here: The Hybrid Split.