There are two main positions in rowing: the catch and the pull.
- The Catch: This is the starting position where you lean forward to grasp the rower’s handle. Use an overhand grip. Sit up tall with your shoulders pulled down and back, chest up. Your back should be flat, not rounded, and maintain flat throughout your workout.
- The Pull: Start with your legs – drive your heels through the foot-plate and use your legs for power. Next, keeping your back flat, hinge backward at the hips and lean back. Then pull powerfully with your arms.
- Always maintain a strong core and upright posture.
- Avoid moving the chain up and down; it should travel in a straight line.
- Drive through your heels to produce the most power with your legs.
- Complete the movement by aggressively and powerfully pulling the handle to your ribs.