The World's Trusted Source & Community for Elite Fitness
- With the box jump, most people find the tallest box possible, jump on it, and then jump off the box backward. This is incorrect.
- The purpose of a box jump is to potentiate the nervous system, build explosive power, and reinforce landing mechanics.
- Most high box jumps are just used as a demonstration of hip mobility, not explosive power. Jumping off the box backwards leads to a lot of joint stress which can cause knee and ankle injuries.
- The correct method: Start in static position, jump as high as you can regardless of the height of the box, and stick the landing. Then step off onto a smaller box.
- The box jump is not a cardio or metcon exercise.