The 7-4-7 protocol has three functions:
- For physique goals: To add work volume and create more of a pump in the muscle involved, which can stimulate hypertrophy.
- For performance athletes: To help increase work capacity by building power-endurance.
- For general fitness and fat loss: To help increase the metabolic demand of the workout.
To do it, start with 7 reps using a moderate weight. Without resting, increase the load and bang out 4 reps. Finish the set by doing another 7 reps using a lighter weight.
Here's another option:
- A1. Loaded Deadlifts (version of your choice) x 7
- A2. Deadlift Jumps (as high a you can go) x 4
- A3. Loaded Deadlifts (using a slightly lower load than used on the first 7 reps) x 7