Doing exercises in a superset fashion, where you go back and forth between two exercises with little to no rest, is hardly new. But you may be surprised by the untraditional, upper-body supersets below.
A classic superset involves training opposing or antagonist muscle groups, like doing a biceps curl with a triceps extension. The non-working muscle group rests while its counterpart is working. (I use the word “rest” lightly because the opposing muscle group still has the role of acting isometrically to provide joint stability.)
Supersets allow for increased levels of mechanical work in shorter periods of time. This improves the efficiency of your workout and facilitates spikes in anabolic hormones via high levels of metabolic stress and lactate production. You’ll get a massive pump and a boost in GH production.
New Upper-Body Supersets
1. Landmine Elbow-Out Row + Band Resisted Push-Up
- A1. Landmine Row: 3-4 x 8-10 each side. No rest.
- A2. Push-Up: 3-4 x 15-plus. Rest 60 seconds.
2. Bar Dip + Fat Grip Pull-Up, EMOM
Do 10 bar dips and 4 fat-grip pull-ups, EMOM (every minute on the minute), for as long as possible. If you get 10 rounds, give yourself a pat on the back. For most mortals, 4-6 rounds is a good goal.
3. Supinated-Grip Inverted Row + Decline Rollback Triceps Extension
- A1. Inverted Row: 4 x 10-12. Rest 30 seconds.
- A2. Triceps Extension: 4 x 10-12. Rest 30 seconds.
4. Chest-Supported Cable Row + Double Kettlebell Push Press
- A1. Cable Row: 3 x 12-15. No rest.
- A2. Push Press: 3 x 6-8. Rest 60 seconds.
5. Single-Arm Landmine Push Press + Supported Single-Arm Row
- A1. Landmine Push Press: 4 x 5-7 each. Rest 45 seconds.
- A2. 1-Arm Row: 4 x 8-10 each. Rest 45 seconds.
6. Dumbbell Floor Press + TRX Row
- A1. Floor Press: 4 x 6-8. Rest 30 seconds.
- A2. TRX Row: 4 x 12-15. Rest 30 seconds.
7. Weighted Chin-Up + Close-Close Grip Bench Press
- A1. Chin-up: Build to a heavy 3-5 reps in 4 sets. Rest 60 seconds.
- A2. Bench Press: Build to a heavy 6-8 reps in 4 sets. Rest 60 seconds.
8. Incline Single-Arm Dumbbell Bench Press + Single-Arm Chest-Supported Row
- A1. Bench Press: 3-4 x 10-12 each. No rest.
- A2. Row: 3-4 x 10-12 each. Rest 60 seconds.
9. Rope Inverted Row + Rope Triceps Extension
Your goal is to do 30 reps of the row, then 30 reps of the extension. On the next round, shoot for 20 reps, then 10 reps on the last round. Do it all in 6 minutes and you’re a badass.