In this episode of the Fit Pants podcast, T Nation CCO Chris Shugart and editor Dani Shugart discuss…
5 Tips for Eating Carbs
The most “controversial” macronutrient? Carbohydrates. But there are ways to manipulate them for the results you’re after without being obsessed with a food log:
- Carb cycling based on workout days, off days, or training intensity.
- Having carbs at every other meal.
- Timing carbs around workouts, pre-bed, and periods of high cortisol. (See The Best Damn Diet for Natural Lifters.)
- Carbs at every meal, but tracked more closely.
- Set a moderate (not keto) daily limit. More info: The 100 Gram Carb Cure
“Only couch potatoes should avoid potatoes.”
The Legendary Lifts Quiz
This week’s quiz is about famous exercises named after bodybuilders or coaches. Can you pass it?
The Fastest Way to Learn a New Lift
Did CrossFit get it right? A new study shows that doing 15 minutes of cardio or metcon AFTER practicing a new motor skill (like a technical lift) helps you master that skill faster.
That little dose of cardio increases the brain’s connectivity and efficiency, and that helps you retain the new skill. It has something to do with neural connections, the hemispheres of your brain, and, well, other complex crap that Chris explains in the podcast. Here’s the actual study if you’re a geek:
The Shugart Cart — Woohoo!
There’s nothing in Dani’s cart to buy this week. Instead, it’s a workout. It’s called The Half-Hour Deadlift Challenge.
Here’s how to do it:
- Load up the barbell with a weight you can deadlift for about 8-10 reps.
- Now set a timer for 30 minutes. Every minute on the minute, pull just 2 reps.
- That’s it. Keep doing that for half an hour… or until you pass out and people point and laugh.
It seems easy… for the first 30 or 40 reps, but wait ’til you’re getting closer to 60.
Chris has DUDE Wipes in his cart. Yep, for your butt. But Chris uses them for quick clean-ups after his workouts. They’re fragrance-free, paraben-free, and dye-free. Buy them on Amazon:
Flushable Wet Wipes Dispenser, Mint Chill, 48 Count (Pack of 3), with Vitamin-E, Aloe, Eucalyptus & Tea Tree Oils for at-Home Use, Septic and Sewer Safe