As an Amazon Associate, T Nation earns from qualifying purchases. When you buy something, using the retail links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. T Nation does not accept money for editorial reviews. Read more about our policy.
I didn't learn to cook so I could make salads. Nope, I learned to cook so I could make healthy versions of decadent foods that still supported my physique goals. This recipe is a good example of that.
What you won't find here is added sugar, flour, or tons of calories from the usual stick of butter and can of condensed milk used to make pumpkin pie. What you will find is lots of protein and flavor... so much flavor that you won't even miss Granny's pumpkin pie.
But don't tell her that. She's old and sensitive.
- 1 Can (15 oz) 100% pure pumpkin, not pie mix or filling
- 2 Large eggs
- 1.5 Cups plain, nonfat Greek yogurt (unsweetened)
- 4 Scoops vanilla Metabolic Drive® Protein
- 1.5 Tablespoons McCormick pumpkin pie spice blend. Or make your own using hefty dashes of cinnamon plus a little ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.
- 1/4th Cup Splenda or equivalent low-calorie sweetener of choice
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Finely crush the walnuts or give them a whirl in a food processor to make crumbs. This will be your "crust." Sprinkle the crumbs evenly into an oven-safe pie dish.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Use a whisk and build your forearm strength.
- Pour the filling on top of your crust.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes until just set. The middle of the pie might look a little wobbly. That's okay.
- Allow to cool then refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. It will continue to set as it gets cold.
- Cut into 6 slices and, well, I'd suggest eating it at this point.
Calories and Macros
If you want to drop the calories even more, just skip the walnut crust. But keep in mind, the average pumpkin pie contains 3840 calories. This one, including the crust, has only 1338 total calories. I'd keep that omega-3 packed crust.
Here's the macro breakdown per slice, assuming you carve it into 6 servings and can avoid wolfing down the whole darn thing:
- Calories: 223
- Protein: 25 grams
- Carbs: 8 grams (fiber: 3 grams)
- Fat: 9 grams