These protein balls make an ideal pre-workout snack. Or you can just eat them for any-time snacks, but beware: there’s some caffeine in these!
Adding some natural caffeine in the form of coffee beans is a great touch, for taste and kick. A single coffee bean contains anywhere between 2-6 mg of caffeine, with the dark chocolate coating further adding to that. In its natural form, caffeine is a bit more potent too!
If you want one of the best natural pre-workouts of your life, combine dark chocolate, carbs, natural caffeine, Himalayan salt and some protein. These balls have it all. Here’s how to make them.
- 2 Scoops chocolate Metabolic Drive® Protein
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter (peanut butter will work too)
- One-fourth cup coconut flour
- Three-fourths cup oats
- 2 Tablespoons whole-roast coffee beans
- One-fourth cup almond milk
- One-fourth teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 100% cocoa powder for dusting
- Good quality dark chocolate for covering (around 2.5 to 3 ounces)
- Substitution: Swap the coffee beans for 1 teaspoon grated orange peel for a chocolate-orange flavor.
- Start by blitzing your coffee beans in a blender or food processor. A few pulses will do, just enough to roughly chop them but not grind fully.
- Combine all the ingredients in large mixing bowl, leaving out the cocoa and chocolate. Pour in the almond milk last, as you may require more or less than one-fourth of a cup. The texture should resemble a slightly wet dough.
- Using the palms of your hands roll into around 10 individual balls.
- Dust each ball with cocoa powder then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate over a bain-marie (glass bowl over boiling water).
- Dip each ball into the melted chocolate, allowing the excess to drip off, then place onto parchment paper or some aluminum foil to set. Place an individual coffee bean on top of each one if you’re chasing Instagram likes!
- Put the 10 balls back in the refrigerator until set. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Macros Per Protein Ball
- Calories: 140
- Protein: 7 grams
- Carbs: 14 grams (4 grams from fiber)
- Fat: 6